The Dangers Of Carbon Monoxide And How It’s Linked To Your Heating
Carbon monoxide poisoning causes 438 deaths a year in the United States. Most of us know how dangerous this gas is. It’s colorless and odorless, making it difficult to detect. If you have gas furnaces, stoves, or refrigerators, you need to be aware of the dangers.
Here are some facts on carbon monoxide you need to know:
The biggest danger of carbon monoxide is that it’s a colorless, odorless gas. Specialized equipment is needed to check if there’s carbon monoxide in your home.
It’s a deadly gas and a byproduct of flames.
Physical symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, feeling delirious, and an upset stomach.
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs even if you inhale the smallest amount of it. Once it makes its way into your bloodstream, it will prevent red blood cells from supplying your body with oxygen.
Infants and the elderly are more susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning. It could have detrimental effects on those with respiratory problems.
Sources of carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide leaks originate in furnaces, gas water heaters, and other heating appliances. They need to be inspected by a professional annually to ensure your family isn’t at risk of poisoning. Any malfunctioning parts of these appliances can cause a carbon monoxide leak which you won’t be able to detect.
Have the chimneys and ducts of your home thoroughly checked especially in winter. Vents tend to get clogged with snow. Buildup around the furnace can cause fires or even carbon monoxide build-up in your home.
Carbon Monoxide detectors
The best way to protect your family from this hazardous gas is to install detectors. Carbon monoxide detectors must be installed on every floor of the house to be effective. If you choose the right kind, it can also work as a smoke detector. Make sure your family members know how these detectors function and what to do once the alarms go off.
Have a plan in place
Carbon monoxide leaks and poisoning is a contingency you need to start planning for. Openly communicate a worst-case scenario strategy with your family. They need to understand the symptoms of poisoning. Your pets can begin to experience symptoms too. Call up an emergency vet service to tend to the pet and an HVAC expert to deal with the issue.
Vacate your home in the event of a leak. Go out into an open space with fresh air. Don’t enter your home for anything till the issue has been dealt with by professionals. Always go to a physician to get the precautionary treatment required. They are best equipped to deal with such instances.
Once everything has settled down and your home is safe for you to enter, air out the space. Open all doors and windows to ventilate your home. Make sure you don’t open the doors and windows before the experts arrive. It makes the leak detection much more difficult.
Looking for a reliable heating repair in Palm Bay? Florida
Breeze offers clients the best HVAC services in the area. Whether it’s installation, replacement, repair, maintenance or inspections, we provide it all. Sign up with us or call (321) 951-8767 for an appointment.